Monday, August 21, 2006

Return to Orthodoxy

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on the state of the liturgy currently. I admit that both Jenny and I are in the camp of young adults that would like to see a return-to, strengthen-of, reform-in-the-spirit-of, traditional liturgical practices (whatever the case may be). Am I referring to tridentine? If that's what's best for the Church, then yes. More orthodox novus ordo? Maybe. I'm not going to pretend to be wise enough to know what's in the Church's best interest liturgically, but I can say that I feel it's important that it's born out of the rich tradition, solemnity, and spirit of the Church.

I've been to mass at many a church and I won't act like I've enjoyed all of them. And it's no secret nation-wide that here in the Diocese of Richmond, VA. there are plenty of liturgical abuses. I'm content in knowing that the parish I attend is very serious in its liturgical practices and respect, but I'm also restless knowing that at many churches in the diocese (and world-wide) liturgical abuses are occuring.

For me it's not so much "this is how things were and should be," that's not the case. For me it's about an understanding of how the liturgy is formed, and what it's purpose is. To quote a Benedictine Father and friend of mine, Fr. Gregory Gresko OSB, "We are to worship God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all at once the best way we can, and the liturgy is that way. The liturgy is the source and summit of our life as Christians...and the source and summit of that liturgy is the Holy Eucharist." We have to take it serious because it is so important and serious spiritually.

In my mind there is no answer to the problem. I wouldn't know how to even suggest or implement a solution if I had one, but I will say that there is a strong current of young adults asking for more access to Tridentine Masses, as well as, a surge of novus ordo young adults pushing for their parishes to be more orthodox. I see this as a good thing and I'm very excited about it. It's important to remember that the Church is supposed to be counter-culture. It's okay to be different. Just because our protestant brothers and sisters are playing rock music in their churches to draw in youth doesn't mean us Catholics have to do the same. Christ draws them to the Churches, and through sacred music we honor Him. Let's leave the rock music in the cd players.

No comments: