Monday, August 07, 2006

Middle East Problem

The situation in the Middle East is anything but simple to solve. During Mass for the past several Sundays we've prayed for a ceasefire in that region, but I find myself questioning if that will solve anything. I'm not saying I'd prefer for people to die, I don't feel that way, but is there really a solution for these people?

I'd done a lot of reading lately and I've come up with the following conclusion: If Israel stops its attacks on Hezbollah (who started the war with Israel), then they will be most likely making the mistake of limited military contact with an absolutionist threat. Hezbollah will not rest, they will not take a beating and then ask for peace. They are an all or nothing terrorist organization that stands for the erradication of Israel, America, and all of the West.

And so I find myself in a very confusing state of mind. I read about how Lebanese groups are begging Israel to be thorough and finish Hezbollah (in Lebanon) off. When I read this I find myself agreeing with them on many levels, but my faith tells me that killing is wrong regardless. So where do I stand on this issue? Should I morally support Israel in its liberation of Lebanon and its own people of the terrorist threat of Hezbollah? Will a cease-fire in the region really bring about any kind of peace?

I suppose I can pray. Prayer is powerful. I'll pray for a non-violent solution to the problems in the Middle East and let God figure out the particulars. He is the all knowing One afterall and I don't even come close to that. Christ will come again and perhaps that's the solution. Let's pray.

No comments: