Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Yeah, I'm Catholic. Bring It On.

During my conversion, as it was getting closer and closer to Easter, the criticism of me becoming Catholic intensified. At one point someone very dear to me was quite harsh and my only outlet for advice at that exact moment was my sponsor, living four states away and attending seminary at the time. I wrote him a text message with my cell phone and told him how harsh that person was being to me, how critical, and he wrote back...

"They Crucified Jesus."

It was easily the most profound text message I have ever received. Of course, by "they" he didn't mean the person who was at the time "crucifying" me. He was referring to the spirital "we", as in people who do not have faith in Christ's redemptive message. Those three little words, "They Crucified Jesus" was more than enough to change my mindset regarding others attacking my faith forever.

Yes, Christ was crucified. The world he came to love and have love him instead crucified him on a cross. They mocked him, spat at him, beat him and stole from him, then they murdered him. He was the center of ridicule and in many ways stil is. Actually, in all of the same ways he still is. People still crucify Christ every minute of every day, if not with legislation or law, then with how they treat others and their lack of faith.

They crucify Christ when they crucify his Church. That's why we must bear our crosses everyday. Because we too are crucified by an often cruel society. It was when I read that text message that my eyes were forever opened and I was truly humbled. And from that day forward, I welcome with open arms ridicule and opposition. Because as Christ suffered on the cross, so do I when I have faith in him.

I once read an article that I've sense long lost and can't seem to find again. It was a Catholic talking on a radio interview I believe. The Catholic, who I think was clergy, spoke about how, even if he wasn't Catholic and was looking for a faith, that he'd find Catholicism. He said that he would look for a Church spat upon by the world, as Christ was. A Church ridiculed, as Christ was. A Church whipped and beaten, as Christ was. A Church crucified, as Christ was. And there, when trying to find such a Church, he would find the Catholic Church. It's a beautiful article...if you know what I'm talking about, please email me and let me know where I can read it again.

In closing... Yeah, I'm Catholic. Bring It On. I can take it. Christ suffered for me and I will suffer for Him. It's how I react to criticism that defines me in that moment. And while I'm not perfect, I do my best to accept it with open arms. Pax Christi.

No comments: