Wednesday, December 13, 2006

GDISGUD

Today on the way to work, I saw several license plates I found interesting. On the top of my list was "GDISGUD" and "UWNTGOD". Great license plate messaging! More and more when I look around I see people with rosaries hanging on their rear-view mirror, or fish emblems on bumpers, Christian-themed bumper stickers, window stickers, etc. I've also noticed numerous small businesses adding crosses and fish to their company logos!

It's a great sign in what often seems to be a dark time lacking all integrity and morals. It seems to me that those who have faith are becoming less and less afraid to show it publicly. I remember when I used to work in a Christian bookstore, a man once came up to the counter with a fish auto-emblem. He looked at me, laughed and said "I guess it's time to commit." I've thought about that moment many, many times since then and I understand why for some it's a deeper commitment than just having faith around other faithful. It becomes a public commitment when someone puts a sticker or sign up saying "I'm a Christian" to all around.

But I also realize that perhaps it shouldn't be so hard to do. We should all move forward with our lives and mission without fear of publicly announcing our faith. I'm not saying put an ad in the NY Times... but maybe a bumper sticker or auto-emblem, cross on your business card or crucifix hanging around your neck is a good place to start? Pax Christi.

No comments: