Friday, September 08, 2006

Lucky . . . wait, no . . . blessed me.


I always took for granted the towering structure that is a central landmark for my college’s academic campus. It is an attractive structure that added a much needed architectural flair to the newer part of the university with all of its utilitarian brick buildings. However, it wasn’t until this semester when the combination of a ripening faith and bad off-campus parking took hold that I realized how blessed I am. On a (state) university’s campus sits the cathedral of the Richmond Diocese.


You may be asking yourself why bad parking has made me appreciative of the cathedral’s location. Well, every morning when I emerge from Monroe Park and see the academic campus the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart stands directly in front with its inscription reading “IF YE LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.” It’s a reminder of what it means to love God and that my actions must reflect that love.


It wasn’t until these past few weeks that I’ve realized this blessing of the cathedral’s placement. Until know, I never knew the privilege of being able to say my morning prayers in a church, or to step in for a visit between American studies and chemistry.

My brother-in-law said something once that made me realize the beauty and importance of praying inside a church where the Eucharist is present: If your grandmother lived in the same city as you, and you only spoke on the phone, that would be a neglectful action, an incomplete relationship. How can you say you love her but never visit, despite her close proximity? Similarly, how can you say you love God if you never visit Him in His house? I’ve been blessed with the presence of the cathedral, and I can now visit God in his house daily.

No comments: