Monday, September 25, 2006

Following the path of St. Mary Magdelen

Many of us have special affections for our patron saints and the saints’ names under which we were confirmed. Each of us chose a saint that spoke to our souls. I was confirmed under the name Jennifer Mary Magdalen. I didn’t tell my sponsor until we were standing outside St. Benedict Church that Mary Magdalen was going to be my confirmation name because I myself did not yet know until that point. But as I stood there on the steps of the church waiting to process into the church and be accepted into the faith I took a few moments for reflection.

I looked up at the processional crucifix and the symbolism was striking. I was following it into the ceremony were I would promise to follow Jesus Christ as His faithful disciple. The path of any penitent sinner who turns to Jesus is that of St. Mary Magdalen. She was exorcised and cleansed by Christ, as I was baptized by water and the Spirit. She washed Christ’s feet in thanksgiving and love, as I pray to Him in thanksgiving and love. She was faithful to Christ as a disciple as I strive to be faithful to Christ as a disciple. She also received the greatest blessing of Christ revealing Himself to her in His transfigured state on Easter morning. This is a blessing we all pray to receive.

During my time in RCIA a woman who has become a dear friend of mine said that the Catholic Church is not a Church of saints, it is a Church of sinners. It is truly a Church of those in need of healing, for as Jesus said, "those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners” (Lk 5:31). Just as St. Mary Magdalen did, we the faithful of the Church have heard Christ’s call to a continuing conversion of heart. Now we must follow our shepherd.

No comments: