Saturday, April 14, 2007

From "AH!" to "Oh."

When it comes to life lessons, the good Lord always seems to know exactly what to do and when to do it. I recently had to schedule my classes for the upcoming fall semester, and I found myself smack dab in between the proverbial rock and hard place. Things weren't fitting together properly and all I could think is, "WHY?! Why is this so difficult?!"

Now that everything has resolved itself, one of my many shortcomings has reared its ugly head. My own tunnel-vision had led me to desire one particular road to scheduling and, rather than allow myself to be led down another, never thinking that it could be for the best, I complained and fretted and stressed when it didn't work out precisely as I'd planned.

In school planning it is important and even necessary, of course, to be organized and focused. However, in other areas of life, such as planning a weekend date or a walk around the neighborhood, perhaps it is more important to embrace flexibility and the fun that change can bring. I, on the other hand, choose to ignore this in most areas of my life. I am schedule-driven to the point of tunnel-vision.

I now have an ideal class schedule complete with an extra bit of unexpected relief from my summer classes. This most recent adventure in class scheduling has taught me that even when situations do not comply with your vision of them, things are not necessarily going awry.

No comments: