Tuesday, January 30, 2007

R.I.P. House

Tonight I watched a show I once liked very much and even had a lot of respect for. I considered it one of the more rewarding shows on television, but tonight I felt my heart cry out while I watched an episode end in travesty.

I know it's just a show, but the statement it made does nothing short of further defining the culture of death we live in today. A girl comes to the clinic where Dr. House is working and it comes to light that she was raped a week before. Through the course of the show an emotional story unfolds as we find out she has a minor sexually transmitted disease from her attacker. And then, towards the 3/4 mark, we find out she is also pregnant.

In classic hollywood style, Dr. House immediately suggests a "termination," to which she responds, "Abortion is murder" and goes on the defend her beliefs from an argumentative House. At first it made me smile, as their was a glimpse of hope that someone out in tinseltown might have a soul reaching for God. But that smile quickly turned to a frown as in the final 30 seconds of the show we find out that she takes House's advice and terminates her pregnancy. It was no more than an agenda-driven plot. The writers should be ashamed.

I'll miss the show because every other episode I've seen was quite rewarding, but for me I know that one episode can ruin them all... in this case it's ruined for me and most likely for thousands more a character beloved by so many. "House," you've lost my viewership and respect. Tonight, I pray for the writers and the souls of those they've influenced.

No comments: