Monday, January 22, 2007

Precious Brandon

My baby brother, Brandon, was born when I was one year old. He was born on Palm Sunday, but he wouldn't live to see Good Friday or experience his first Easter. They were only days away, but Brandon couldn't breathe. He died only a short time after being born. That's all I know about him.

While growing up, my mom would always cry on Palm Sunday. I came to eventually know why, but for the longest time I didn't understand. And now I cry and don't understand. This past year on All Souls Day, I mourned my little brother for the first time in my entire life. It was through the understanding and celebration of All Souls Day that I came to realize that his death was very real although never spoken of. And even though I have no idea what he looked like, his death is very real to me. I can't explain the feeling of loss I feel sometimes. It's very odd to me.

Sometimes I wonder what he looked like. I'm fairly sure there isn't a picture anywhere to be seen. The doctors knew something was wrong immediately. There were little to no smiles, no happy parents. Sometimes I wonder if I can see his face in the faces of my parents, or in my own face and that of my sister's. I'm weeping just writing these words and yet I know it was simply his time. God, for whatever reason, felt that Brandon should be brought to Him in that very instant. Whether God was saving him years of struggle, or it was part of something beyond that, it was time. That's why I cry and don't understand why. I never knew my brother but sometimes I feel like I knew him perfectly.

Today in D.C. and all over the U.S., thousands of citizens are gathering to march and pray for a culture of life in this country. I have to admit that I don't understand at all how a mother can take the life of her own child in an abortion. Life is precious, all too much so. Brandon never had a chance to tell anyone anything, but love for him will never fade. He may have died minutes after being born, but every second of his life, from conception to his death was precious.

A year later, after my Mom was told that she would not be able to conceive again, my sister Erica was born. Maybe Brandon made way for a miracle, maybe in his soul the Lord saw someone so unselfish that he would give himself right then and there for his future little sister. Either way, I miss you Brandon and I can't wait to finally meet you in heaven. I love you.

No comments: