Monday, February 11, 2008

The Big Decision: Voting Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the day when Virginians (and citizens of several other states) get to vote for who they want to run for President. I've been fairly torn on this issue as of late, but I think it's starting to make sense to me now. For weeks now I have been liking John McCain more and more because my brain (and the media) tells me that he will end up being the GOP candidate and that he's capable of winning over either one of the democrat candidates. At the same time, is he the candidate for me? I'm not so sure about that. I've looked at his website where he vaguely seems to outline his "pro-life" stance. He seems honest and passionate enough about it, but from what I've heard elsewhere, he also showed support for embryonic stem cell research... something that's definitely not "pro-life."

Then I look at Huckabee. This guy, who I've liked since the beginning, I thought for the longest time wouldn't stand a chance. Now all of a sudden he's number two in a race that seems to be getting closer and closer. Does he have a chance? He might. It turns out there are over 1100 delegates still in play for the GOP vote. A candidate needs 1191 delegates to win the nomination. If he doesn't have 1191, there is a debate on floor during the Republican National Convention to decide the party winner. Either way, his stances are strong, conservative, Christian and Pro-Life. And his fight reminds me of another epic story told again and again, that of Christ's.


I'm not saying Mike Huckabee is a holy man, that I don't know. I'm not in anyway comparing his compassion or motivation with Christ's, though it seems that he has compassion for Christ and motivation through Him, which is a great thing. I am, however, comparing the age-old story of the "underdog," the "down and out," the "no chance, go home" heroes in history, one of which was Our Lord, Jesus. People didn't want Christ to say he was the Son of God, that scared people... they called him crazy and left him. He was certainly counted out, even by Pilot, before his Glory was claimed after death. Like Christ, Mike Huckabee has been counted out. He was counted out by everyone who thought he was "too Christian" to run for President (including myself, who while liking him thought he didn't stand a chance). Turns out that the country isn't so anti-Christian values after all, is it?

Huckabee has been scoffed at, he's been laughed at and discounted. And now, while media favorites like Edwards and Romney are sitting this one out, Huckabee is up there with conviction and unwavering insistence that he his not only good for the Nation, but that his personal faith is his life and cannot be separated. Pat that man on the back, because he's been going through public crucifixion only to prove so many wrong already... what else will he do? He might do nothing. He might lose the candidacy and go home to Arkansas. He might also show the American faithful that they aren't alone... he might become Vice President, he might run again in a few years, hey... why not, we're dreaming here right? He might become President!

The idea of voting for Mike Huckabee for me is like making a good, moral decision. And while we (as voters) shouldn't be voting based on values necessarily, we SHOULD be voting based on social issue stances. This is where Mike Huckabee shines for Christians everywhere. The idea of voting for someone who has no chance is a harsh one, but Huckabee actually does have a chance and even if he didn't, this year I'm going to stand with my views on social issues like marriage and life and vote for who I believe will do the most to change this country for the better, not vote for who I think will win and who I can "live with."

For those of you voting tomorrow, clear your minds tonight and prayerfully decide who you will vote for.

No comments: