Monday, March 05, 2007

Ecumenicism or Loss of Catholic Identity?

I've been battling lately with the idea of ecumenicism and how to reach out to other Christians. It my various attempts and soon-to-be attempts to reach other Christians, I've found that what's commonly seen as "ecumenicism" is really a giving-up of Catholic identity. This isn't always the case, but seems to often be. For instance, if I was creating an ecumenical site promoting living as a Christian at work, one ecumenical approach to doing just that would be to give advice that non-Catholics wouldn't take offense to. This means not mentioning prayers to Mary, Saints, etc.

I've come to realize that this is sugar-coating, not ecumenicism. Catholic identity is important for Catholics and the Church because it is through that identity that we come to actively participate in the reality of Christ and His Church. Are we not denying the importance of the Blessed Mother to all Christians by purposefully leaving her out of "ecumenical" discussions?

My thoughts are a bit jumbled right now, so I hope what I'm trying to say is coming out more or less clear. When we need in the Church is Authentic Ecumenicism, at every level... even the local, grassroots level.

Note!
Read Sarah's response and in-depth musings on this subject!

No comments: