Monday, March 12, 2007

Do Not Hide from God.

Lent is a time for reflection, a time for being honest with ourselves and with God. He knows anyway, so why lie to Him? Why hide from Him? And yet we do. We hide from Him every time we give in to temptation. I say we hide because none of us have the ability to stand directly in front of God and still sin, I can only imagine His radiance to be beyond our ability to think for ourselves, let alone sin. So engaging that we stumble towards him, scared beyond belief, but also yearning to be embraced.

And yet, when challenged with giving up for Lent, we do not. Or we say we do, we try, and we still falter. Even if it's not on purpose, we fall short. The first Friday of Lent, I ate meat, twice. I had completely forgotten it was Friday! But if I had known, if it had registered, and if then I still ate meat... cowering in a corner with meat in my mouth, then I would have been hiding from God. And for what? A turkey sandwich? Trust me, there isn't turkey anywhere in existence worth turning our back on God. I made it up to Him on Saturday.

This Lent, try not to hide from God. If you're struggling, if you're craving something you've vowed to give up, talk to God about it. Let Him know that you're struggling, give up that pain, that anxiety for those unfortunate enough to not have much of anything to give up. Remember, there are children out there that if they gave up a meal for Lent might not eat at all that day. How sad is that? Do not hide from God, step into the light, expose yourself, and be a beacon for others to do the same. God Bless you.

No comments: