Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Novus Ordo vs. Novus Ordo


I’ve taken time lately to grow in understanding of the viewpoint of traditionalist Catholic societies like the Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX). And through my studies and reflection on arguments against the Novus Ordo (new order of the Mass since Vatican II), I’ve come to hear some valid arguments for tradional (Tridentine) Mass, as well as, valid issues with the Novus Ordo. I truly hope that there are people from both sides reading this article and please, please email Jenny and me and let us know of your opinion.

In the post prior to this one is a link to a video of a Mass held in California where people serving the Eucharist were dressed in Halloween costumes. It’s a horrible injury to the sacred liturgy to do such a thing and with that in mind I come to a loaded table of Traditionalist Catholic “reasons” why the Novus Ordo “is not valid.” And while I do not concur that the Novus Ordo is not a valid Mass and therefore doesn’t contain a valid sacrament, I will admit that some parishes (some priests) simply take things too far.

I’ve heard the stories as I’m sure everyone has of parishes performing wrong, if not horrific injuries to the sacred liturgy of the Mass. I’ve witnessed a Mass where instead of solemn music for reflection and prayer, we were subjected to “rocking out” the Sanctus and turning the Gloria into an American Idol solo. I’ve been told of Masses where the priest does the motions of the consecration where a soloist sings the prayers. I’m sorry, but that’s simply not valid! Does saying that it’s “not valid!” make me sound like a Traditionalist Catholic?

I belong to a Novus Ordo parish and I’m quite active there. And more than anything I take complete comfort and delight in knowing that Novus Ordo has been successfully and probably perfectly transitioned into the liturgy. I will gladly stand along side anyone who is against such liturgical abuses as those I’ve stated or heard about (blessing a prop of the bread, yes, a plastic prop, I’ve heard of this also). The Mass is Holy, and we do not approach the Holy with irreverence or a false “spirit.”

In closing I must define my viewpoint. I do not agree with radical traditionalist Catholics who claim the Novus Ordo Mass is invalid. I think that’s ridiculous. If the Church validates such a Mass and the proper words of consecration for it, then by its very nature it is valid. However, I do have serious issues with Novus Ordo parishes who abuse the liturgy just as I would have serious issues with a Tridentine parish abusing that liturgy. There’s simply nothing right about injuring the greatest prayer we have, the Mass. It saddens me greatly to know that there are parishes out there, priests out there who hold so little reverence for Church teachings and especially Our Lord that they take part in and promote such abuses.

No comments: