Saturday, November 17, 2007

Movie Review: Bella


Last night, Jenny and I were fortunate enough to see "Bella" for free with a sold out crowd. If you haven't heard about "Bella" it's an independant film directed by Alejandro Monteverde and starring Eduardo Verastegui. It's won several awards at film festivals all over the US and beyond and is quickly becoming a conservative Christian's favorite film of 2007. The movie is boasted to have a Catholic flavor and pro-life message.

After seeing the movie I can honestly say it's incredible. At the same time, is it a rallying cry for pro-lifers? No. The movie, while having a latino-Catholic flair, does not in any way, shape or form push any type of morality and religion on its audience. Is the story a pro-life stand? Only if every movie ever made where a single mother decides to have her baby is a pro-life stand.

Don't read my wrong here. The movie is fantastic. I was smiling ear to ear through every part where tears weren't building up in my eyes. I love this film and I love that it really does show the beauty of love for a child, the inner struggle of people, and the outcomes of the choices (and mistakes) that we make. All I'm saying is that nothing is shoved down your throat (which is a great thing!).

While this movie is no standard to march behind, it is an instant classic. The script is clean, funny and heart-warming. The acting is top notch and the music is superb. In other words, we (pro-life Christians) don't need this film to be a staunch pro-life banner. Sometimes we just need a good story to remind us why life is so precious.

I've heard of movie critics who have blasted this film for its "moral pushing," and I must say... "what film did you see?" Honestly, I was kind of hoping for a little moral pushing, but there was none to be had. I guess it goes to show that people with agendas (in this case, the critics), will say whatever it takes to bring something so beautiful down.

Go see this movie.

No comments: