Monday, May 21, 2007

In the Wake of the Ascension

I overheard a conversation today from someone who's church is in the middle of going through a division. It looks like part of the congregation will be leaving to start another church and all I could do was sit at my desk and feel horribly sad for those people. It happens again and again, churches splinter and make new churches, each with their own interpretations, each splintering again in time. The protestant reformation truly created a lasting effect that's dividing the church still today.

This Sunday (Feast of the Ascension of the Lord) is even a regularly practiced Sunday in non-Catholic churches (Ascension Sunday) and you'd think a message like Jesus' Ascension and our charge to spread the Gospel would bring communities of Christians together, but in the wake of this Ascension Feast, I'm reminded how sad it can be to be away from the Church. I lived that life once and I'm glad I've come home.

I'm not sure what else to say. I'm really, really sad.

No comments: